Quick Jump
  • General Forums
  • Hot Game Forums
  • Dragon's Call

Howrse.com Review

Identity:Newbie B

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify Poster 2009-07-08 21:36:01
Howrse.com is a browser based horse breeding game. The object of the game itself is to breed the finest horses you can manage to breed. The horses are judged in at least two different scales. The first of those scales are called stars. I chose to breed Friesian and I was able to go from a two star Friesian which is the base starter level for all horses, on up through until I achieved the ability to personally breed ten star Friesians.

One of the other ways in which horses are judged is by BLUPing them which means Best Linear Unbiased Prediction. With horses it is based on their genetics and the probability of success in races, etc. The layout, while at times is a little slow, it's very user friendly and quite easy to get around in. The layout is done very logically and is quite easy to follow. Finding my way around seemed to be no real issue at all. Almost every page or tab has a help link explaining what each one means.

Starting out is rather slow at first. For the first few weeks you'll only be logging in once a day for a half an hour or so to take care of your one horse. As you gain money and manage to get more horses you end up spending progressively more time each day playing. Even when you get up to ten horses your time actually caring for them most days without spending real money is approximately one to two hours.

If you choose to spend real money you can buy passes which allow you to buy beneficial items in the black market, often called BM items which allow your horse to live forever, age your horse multiple times so that instead of only getting to feed them, groom them, stroke them, race them, train them, etc. once a real life day, you can do it infinitely if you like.

The first down side to this game that I noticed personally was that it's a game that you can only play for a short period of time each day unless you spend real life cash for added benefits. The fact that it was so incredibly slow to get started doing more than just ten or fifteen minutes of playing really discouraged me at first. I considered leaving the game because of this issue. Friends talked me in to sticking it out and giving it a longer try. Once I had, I found it rather fun, however even with several horses the game play is limited primarily to just a couple hours a day unless you pay.

The biggest down side to this game is not in it's design or it's playability, but instead the major fault of this game is within the administration and moderators. Customer service is one of the worst cases I have ever seen in my 14 years of online gaming. While I had an extremely large incident go on while playing the game, I will attempt to deliver the reports I have received from others without detail and will not mention further my own experiences with the administration of the game.

My own personal bad experiences with customer service on Howrse is the first incident that I knew of personally. Since then, however, I have seen many other players of Howrse tell me themselves that they or friends of theirs have run into similar cases of bad customer service on this game. I cannot verify the truth of those claims but they have been significant in number.

My personal recommendation on this game is that while the most playable and easy to use browser based animal care game I've found, I would not recommend it to others. I've received reports from other players who've been banned from the game for mentioning the wrong topic in the howrse.com forums, players who have been treated rudely and unkindly by mods and admins alike. I believe that any good business should have a number one rule among their staff. The customers matter most. In every job I have ever worked our number one rule was very simple. The customer is always right. I think any company should be this way. This is a company that, by all reports, seems to disregard any sentiment such as this.

================================================================
Hello everyone!

I hope this is objective enough. I wasn't really sure how to deliver the down side of the game as I had a personal -extremely- bad encounter with the staff on this game. However I did my best to remain objective and to report what other players have complained to me personally about their own experiences which I think is far more important than my own because with their complaints while I feel for them, I have no personal involvement and thus no personal emotions over it other than the same reaction anyone would have. Amazement, shock... etc. Anyway I hope you like it and I hope it isn't too long-winded lol :) Please do let me know if you all have any suggestions or critiques :)
Crystal

Volunteer:Formal Moderator

Identity:Lord D

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 1# 2009-07-08 22:06:17
I thought that was a very good review, good job.

MMOsite Special Offer

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 2# 2009-07-09 01:12:24
    Really? I've never actually done a game review before but I've read quite a few so I was hoping it was ok at least lol. Thanks! :)

Identity:High Mercenary B

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 3# 2009-07-09 02:19:54
    Thank you for your sharing! It's so great! I like this review.

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 4# 2009-07-09 02:41:00
    No problem, thanks a lot :)

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 5# 2009-07-09 08:55:44
    Thank you for posting! we are happy to now have a reviwer. You'll get a new title soon ^_^ and also please i encourage you to use some screenshots about the game and thingsl ike that. Good job tho! the only think you need are screenshots!

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 6# 2009-07-09 10:19:31
    Sadly I can't get screen shots of that game. The customer service issue I mentioned that I had? They banned me for 30 days, so maybe at the first of next month I can get some if they dont just keep me permenantly banned. This was all over a post on the forums that they considered a rant but tons of other players didn't really consider fitting the definition of a 'rant'. Which you know all about that :)

MMOsite Special Offer

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 7# 2009-07-09 10:20:34
      I thought it was 3 days... I'm pretty certian the first notice and only notice said 3 days... but now somehow it's 30 so. Who knows. I could possibly have misunderstood. I can't find the original email from them about the ban so... I couldn't say for sure. :/

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 8# 2009-07-09 16:43:24
      Nope... First it was 3 days, then 30, now indefinately (because I refuse to remove my website) So sadly no screenshots from me. Sorry hon :(

Identity:Newbie S

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 9# 2009-07-10 00:10:08
      Thanks for your sharing, Crystaltears~

We are happy to have a girl with good writing skill join us. A mail has been sent to you.

Welcome to BBGsite Reviewer Team

Identity:High Mercenary C

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 10# 2009-07-10 00:13:20
      Wooow~ Great!

Welcome!  Crystaltear~

So happy to see a girl loves browser based games

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 11# 2009-07-10 21:31:10
      Hehehe thanks :D I just pretty much like all games and browser games really work for me :D

MMOsite Special Offer

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 12# 2009-07-10 22:46:09
        Congratulations to both of you, on your new identities and your new badge, The bbgsite reviewers are a must in every site, they are the eyes and ears of the community! hope you will keep writing such good reviews on games~ thank you for your efforts.

Identity:Newbie C

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 13# 2009-08-18 11:07:27
        Omg this is good Review I Cant make even better review -.-
        Hey Whatsup:D Check out this website http://en.crimestreets.eu

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 14# 2009-08-22 15:12:30
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by dannuke
        Omg this is good Review I Cant make even better review -.-

i think you can, show us what you are made of and try to make a review for bbgsite! you might even get the chance to be in the BBGsite Review group! [SMILE=s7]

Identity:Newbie C

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 15# 2009-09-19 00:09:32
        Horse breeding,huh?
        Yeah,would be great if there's screenshot. (:

Identity:Newbie D

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 16# 2009-09-19 16:24:54
        Im having some problems reporting a player. I want to report a player for scamming other players from their flu vaccines and worm treatments. When I sent a report message this showed up:

"You didn't duplicate the reason of the abuse"

Here's my report:

" i am reporting you!" -message sent by Kendra's Dream Horse

I did not do anything to be reported and this is very unfair. I posted an opinion on her forum standing up for others and she took it the wrong way. She charges flu vaccines and worm treatments for her banners, avatars, blinkies, etc. That is fine but when someone paid her the price she did not give them what they wanted in return. Some people are losing they're things to this player and I wanted to stick up for them. I am against any unfair treatment to howrse players and I try to make howrse a better place to be. Please take my thoughts into deep consideration. Thank you for your time. -xxilovedorks19xx

I know its really long, and I think thats the problem. I just wanted to sound professional so the administrators would take me more serious. I got a message from a player that she was going to report me. Reason why is because I posted a message on her forum about what was in my report message. I wanted to know if you knew how to report players.

I agree though that this website is not really that great. I play it because my friend does and we message eachother on it. Ive been a member for over 100 days though so I dont feel like getting band for something as harmless as what I did.

Sorry for the long message just wanted your help!

MMOsite Special Offer

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 17# 2009-09-19 17:19:15
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by twilight_dork19
          Im having some problems reporting a player. I want to report a player for scamming other players from their flu vaccines and worm treatments. When I sent a report message this showed up:

"You didn't duplicate the reason of the abuse"

Here's my report:

" i am reporting you!" -message sent by Kendra's Dream Horse

I did not do anything to be reported and this is very unfair. I posted an opinion on her forum standing up for others and she took it the wrong way. She charges flu vaccines and wo ...

I am confused on what you mean, and this is the wrong section to post your feedback, please email and administrator about your issue, the review camp is not for complaints. Please do not post in the wrong section, email your issue to forum@bbgsite.com you will recieve an email from the administrator of the forums promptly.

Identity:Newbie S

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 18# 2009-10-16 00:15:45
          That is a really good and detailed review. Thanks.

Identity:High Mercenary S

Level:

Quote Reply Delete Modify 19# 2009-11-01 19:33:40
          Great review.

Didn't really bother to read the whole essay, but I read the couple of lines/post at the end and it made me lol.  Whether they're wrong or you're wrong doesn't really matter because if you read their term of service, they own your account.  Technically, they can do whatever they want with it.  I do agree(whatever it is) that it was stupid of them to ban you for three days, then 30 days, then indefinitely.

Quick Reply : Howrse.com Review

Not a BBGsiter?Register here?

I need Forum FAQs

I need Forum Rules

Hottest Topics